Sunday, March 25, 2012

Penne with Summer Vegetable Caponata




I was researching on the internet this afternoon, when I came across a FREE eCookbook on a website with a printable coupon for pasta.  I actually shared the coupon & site on Live Better For Less Facebook today.  I scanned through real quick and found a pasta dish that looked really yummy.  I found that I had all the ingredients, so I was ready to go.  


The other day when I was at the 99c Only Store, I had picked up a large eggplant.  I had no idea at the time how I would prepare it.  But, we like eggplant, and I was not going to pass it up for 99c.  Little did I know that I would find the perfect recipe....and it even specified a LARGE eggplant. Most of the ingredients required I found at the 99c Only Store.  So, this is not only a very healthy and oxidant-rich meal (filled with veggies), it was very frugal to make, also.


INGREDIENTS:
1 red onion
1 green bell pepper (I used all green since I had them on hand)
1 red bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 carrots
2 zucchini
l large eggplant
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 tsp dried oregano
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil (I used 3 teaspoons and it worked great)
12 oz. jovial einkorn penne (any penne pasta will work, preferably whole grain or whole wheat)


INSTRUCTIONS:
Cut all vegetables into chunky dices.



In a large skillet, saute olive oil, onion, garlic and carrots for 2 minutes.




Add eggplant and peppers and cook on medium heat for 3 minutes.




Add zucchini and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.  Add salt to taste (I used sea salt in a grinder).




Stir in tomatoes and let simmer for 10 minutes.




Cook pasta according to package instructions.  Toss with sauce and serve with crushed red pepper and added capers ( I left off the capers, only because I did not have any).


This meal was very filling and nutritious.  After hubby and I enjoyed it for dinner this evening, I was able to store at least another (2) meals.



No comments:

Post a Comment